C oronaviruses are a large family of viruses that affects the respiratory system. COVID-19 is the newest member of the Coronavirus family that began in China in December of 2019 and has quickly spread throughout the world, with 38 states in the United States (as of this writing) already reporting cases of this virus.
There is no vaccine to prevent the coronavirus, so everyone needs to do what he or she can to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
How is the COVID-19 Spread?
The Coronavirus gets spread through close human contact, usually when you are within 6 feet of a contaminated person. A person can spread the virus even before they are showing symptoms. When an infected person coughs or sneezes, respiratory droplets become airborne, and it is these droplets that infect others.
How To Prevent Coronavirus From Spreading
The best way to prevent the Coronavirus from spreading is for everyone to take steps to protect themselves. Here are some steps you should be taking.
• Avoid traveling to countries or areas where the virus is prevalent.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds if not longer, and rinse with warm water.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
• Keep your distance between you and others especially by avoiding crowded places
• If you are sick, wear a facemask and avoid coming in contact with other people.
• If you live in an area where the virus is prevalent, then stock up on food and medicine and be prepared to remain home for a while to ride out the infection in safety.
• If possible, avoid doctor’s offices and hospitals where infected cases are likely to appear.
• Learn the symptoms of the COVID-19, so you have some ideas if you have been affected.
• If you have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with the virus, quarantine yourself to avoid exposing others. (Even if you are symptom-free because symptoms can show up between 2 and 14 days)
Symptoms of the Coronavirus
The symptoms of the Coronavirus are pretty much the same symptoms you will see with the common cold such as a fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Symptoms can range from mild to severe with older people and people who already have respiratory conditions as well as heart disease is the most at risk of having severe symptoms that may result in death.
If you have symptoms of the COVID-19, contact your doctor immediately, keep your appointment, but wear a facemask to avoid unnecessarily spreading the virus to others.
There is a test kit for Coronavirus-19, but not all areas have the test kits available.
The best way to prevent coronavirus from spreading is to use your common sense and take care to avoid large crowds whenever possible. The key is to limit your contact with as many people as possible both for your protection and the protection of others.